- MyRegent Portal
- Regent Apps & Mail
- Faculty & Staff Mail
- Faculty & Staff Resources
Overview: Regent University Library seeks to outreach to the Regent community through social networking software programs such as Facebook and Library Link (the library blog).
A. Statement of Purpose
D. Contact Information
A. Statement of Purpose.
This policy defines the acceptable use parameters of social software for all patrons and administrators of Regent University Library. The purpose for the use of social media by the University Library is to promote the mission of the University Library “to support Regent University in preparing future Christian leaders to change the world for the glory of God by providing outstanding information resources, services, and instruction.”
“the practice of expanding the number of one's business and/or social contacts by making connections through individuals. While social networking has gone on almost as long as societies themselves have existed, the unparalleled potential of the Internet to promote such connections is only now being fully recognized and exploited, through Web-based groups established for that purpose.” http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/social-networking
“a class of software systems that allows users to communicate, collaborate, and interact in many flexible ways. Generally, such software allows users to form their own relationships with other users and then exchange messages, write notes, and share media in different ways.” http://social-biz.org/glossary/
Several goals have been included in the recent University Library strategic plan that refer to the use of social networking software, such as Facebook, and the Library Link (library blog).
These goals are:
- To meet the needs of students requiring access to the latest technologies.
- To increase the level of online training, blogging, and social networking dramatically.
Comments / Posts
The University Library welcomes feedback and comments on Library-sponsored social network software. All comments must adhere to all Regent University policies and standards.
Examples of appropriate content are:
- Notices of upcoming University Library events
- University Library policies and procedures
- Information about University Library services, trends, or technologies
- Use of the University Library services or resources
- Opportunities to take part in instruction sessions
- Opinion as it relates to the University Library
- Discuss issues relating to the University Library book club
- General literary information (promoting reading and/or information literacy)
Examples of inappropriate comment are:
- Obscene or racist content
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language
- Potentially libelous statements
- Plagiarized material
- Private, personal information published without consent
- Discussions that are off topic.
- Commercial promotions, unrelated hyperlinks, or spam
Regent University Library is not legally responsible for the content of material that is posted on any of the social networking software it sponsors. The University Library reserves the right to ban users from Library-sponsored social-networking sites at the discretion of the Dean of the University Library.
D. Contact Information.
For specific questions, please contact the University Library administration at (757) 352-4185.
This policy was reviewed and approved by the university librarians on January 30th, 2013.