Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Skip navigation

Access Services

Find various information on library services and policies.

The Access Services Department is committed to meeting the various needs of the University's students, faculty, staff, and community patrons, by providing information and access to the library's materials and services. You can reach the Resource desk by phone at (757) 352-4150 or by email at

Circulation Procedures

Library materials may be borrowed from the Regent University Library by bringing the items to the Resource Desk during library hours along with your student ID. If you need assistance finding items, please ask at the Resource Desk. 

If you are a distance student, you can request all the items you need through Interlibrary Loan

Items may be renewed onlinebefore the due date, by logging into your account. You can either "Renew All" to renew all the items you have out, or you can checkmark the box next to each item you would like to renew and select "Renew Marked".

Renewals may also be requested by email, by calling (757)352-4150, or by bringing proper ID to the Resource Desk. 


You can return your items at any time in one of the book-drops located in the Library parking lot or the Communication parking lot. You can also return your items directly at the Resource Desk during our hours of operation.

If you are a distance student, you can mail your items to:

Interlibrary  Loan

Regent University Library

1000 Regent University Drive

Virginia Beach, VA 23464-9894

Please remember to insure your package as you are financially responsible for the content. 

If you need an item, whether we own it or whether we request it from another library, please create an ILL request. You can do so here. If we own the item, we will pull it for you and make it available for pick up at the Resource Desk within 24 hours. If we do not own it, we will request it from another library and it will be available for pick up as soon as we receive it. 

Fines & Fees

You can pay your fines in person with cash at the Resource Desk.

However, the easiest way to pay your overdue fines is to do it online. You can do so here

Information on how to pay your fine online can be found in this short tutorial:


If items are lost or damaged beyond repair, the patron will be charged for the replacement of the item. Replacement costs will differ from one item to the next as it is determined based on the availability of a replacement. 

A replacement charge can also be assessed if a Regent University item is not returned 90 days after the due date. If the item is returned without damage, the replacement fine will be adjusted to reflect the overdue fine.

Alternatively, a patron may purchase a copy of the exact same item to serve as its replacement (ISBN needs to be an exact match). The only cost will then be a $25 processing fee. Bring the replacement item to the Resource Desk to stop the billing process. 

Late returns or a delay in paying fines may result in a block being placed on the student’s university account. Students will not be permitted to register for subsequent terms, grades will be held, and the University will not issue diplomas, official transcripts, etc.
Fines may be paid at the Circulation Desk with cash or online, with a debit or credit card. 

Services & Policies

Individual and Group Study Rooms

Individual and group study rooms are available on the llibrary's second floor for short-term use (2-4 hours). To reserve these rooms, please contact the Resource Desk at 757.352.4150.

Reserved Study Carrels

Some individual study carrels on the library's second floor may be reserved for one semester by current students in good standing with the library. Law students should consult with Law Library staff if desiring a study carrel in the Law Library. 

To reserve a study carrel, please submit this Study Carrel Request form online, and you will be contacted by the Resource Desk. Please note the following policies:

  • Regent University Library is not responsible for any personal items left in individual carrels.
  • Reference books and library-owned periodicals should be used on the library's first floor and not brought to the study carrels.
  • All library books kept in study carrels must first be checked out and the check-out receipts kept in the small manila folder taped inside the carrel. You may check out up to 25 books for your carrel. Library books found without receipts in study carrels will be returned to the shelves.

Reserved Study Rooms

Current Doctoral students, preferably working on a dissertation and in good standing with the library, may reserve a study station within one of the shared 2-4 person offices in the Study Suite (Room 209) on the Library's Second Floor. These study stations will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, and assignments will be selected via appointment with the Resource Desk. Law Students are encouraged to reserve study rooms in the Law Library.

To reserve a study station, please submit this Study Room Request form online, and you will be contacted by the Resource Desk. Please note the following policies:

  • All library books kept in study stations must first be checked out and the check-out receipts kept in the small manila folder pinned to the station wall. Library books found without receipts in study stations will be returned to the shelves.
  • Reference books and library-owned periodicals should be used on the library's first floor and not brought to the study stations.
  • Regent Library is not responsible for any personal items left in the room. Keys to each office are given to only the occupants of that office, which may hold between 2-4 occupants. Any valuable items may be stored in the locked drawers at that station. Keys are provided when the station is reserved. 
  • Personal items should not be posted on the walls or doors but may be pinned to the gray fabric walls in each station.
  • Study rooms are opened periodically for cleaning and inspection.
  • There will be a $10 replacement fee charged and a hold placed on the student account if the room key is not returned or the station is not renewed.
  • Study room privileges may be revoked at the discretion of the Head of Access Services.


Students looking for reserve items...

Print & Video Reserves

Search the Library Catalog for print and video reserves by course or instructor name.

Print and video reserves are available for checkout at the Library Circulation Desk. Loan periods vary (2 or 4 hours, 24 hours, 3 or 7 days) and are set by the course instructors.

These materials must be returned to the Library Resource Desk. NOTE: Overdue fines for reserve materials are significantly higher than other library fines.

Faculty placing items on reserve...

Print & Video Reserves

All print and video materials to be reserved for a course must be retrieved and submitted by the instructor to the Resource Desk. Personal materials or library materials may also be placed on reserve.

InterLibrary Loan & Document Delivery

Please see our InterLibrary Loan (ILLiad) webpage for details about InterLibrary Loan. 

InterLibrary Loan & Document Delivery

Please see our InterLibrary Loan (ILLiad) webpage for details about the delivery services available to distance students (living outside the 757 area code).

Local Library Card Reimbursement

Distance students should always consider Regent University Library their primary library for requesting materials and research assistance. However, Regent University distance students who live close to and utilize another academic library may be reimbursed for the cost of purchasing a library card to borrow books at that institution. The terms of this reimbursement program are as follows:

  • Distance students may be reimbursed for one library card per academic year (July 1 to June 30).

  • Maximum reimbursement limit is $100.00 per academic year.

It is the responsibility of distance students to obtain the following information in order to make an informed decision:

  • How long is the library card valid?

  • How long may materials be checked out?

  • What types of materials may be checked out (i.e., books, videos, etc.)?

  • How many items may be borrowed at one time?

  • What are the overdue policies of that library?

Distance students living in a large metropolitan area should consider whether other libraries' holdings are more relevant to their course of study.

Before purchasing a local library card...

  • Please email Dorothy Hargett, Head of Access Services, at or call 757.352.4150 and inform her of the cost of the library card that is desired.

  • When purchasing the library card, you must request a receipt. Please copy this receipt for your records.

  • Please complete this Reimbursement Request Form and send it with the original receipt to the address on the form.

NOTE: Regent University Library will not pay for a local library card prior to purchase or contact another library for you.

Reciprocal Borrowing Programs

Regent University Library participates in several reciprocal borrowing agreements that allow Regent students, faculty, and staff in-person borrowing privileges at participating colleges and universities throughout the United States and Canada - extending direct user access to print resources at no costThese programs are particularly useful to those living close to a participating library - providing more convenient and timely access to materials.

Borrowing privileges are determined by the lending library and may differ from your borrowing privileges at Regent Library. Users are responsible for returning checked-out material to the lending library and for any fees or charges incurred. 

We currently participate in four (4) reciprocal/cooperative borrowing programs. To learn more about these programs, including names of participating libraries, borrowing privileges, and more, click here

A Regent University Library alumni card may be obtained by completing an Alumni Registration Form online. Processing may take up to five (5) business days for verification and approval.

Once an alumni applicant's graduation date has been verified, the Resource Desk can issue a library card in-person, which is required to check out circulating books and audiovisual materials.

Alumni have access to a certain number of databases and journals, which are listed below. As this selection is limited, Alumni may want to check with their public library and/or professional organizations for access to additional databases.


Personal property is the responsibility of the individual patron. Lost items found in the Library are held at the Resource Desk for no more than one week. Each Friday all lost and found items are taken to the Student Services Department.

The library circulation computer system will automatically block a patron's library privilege if he/she fails to pay library fines or return overdue books. A system block will prevent a patron from accessing electronic library databases, registering for classes, or obtaining university transcripts.

Copyright Basics

What is copyright?

Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) to the authors of “original works of authorship,” including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works.

Copyright notice contains three elements:

  • the symbol © (the letter c in a circle) or the word “Copyright” or the abbreviation “Copr.” for “visually perceptive copies; the symbol (the letter p in a circle) for sound recordings
  • the year of the first publication
  • the name of the owner of the copyright These three elements should appear together on the work in such a way as to “give reasonable notice of the claim of copyright.”

NOTE: The absence of a copyright notice does not imply that work is not copyrighted. Work is under copyright protection “the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device,” according to the U.S. Copyright Office FAQs.

What works are protected?

Copyright works include the following:

  • literary works
  • musical works, including both words and music
  • dramatic works, including accompanying music
  • pantomimes and choreographic works
  • pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
  • motion pictures and other audiovisual works
  • sound recordings
  • architectural works

These categories have broad applications. For example, computer programs may be registered as “literary works.”

What constitutes copyright infringement?

Copyright infringement is the unauthorized use of any of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder. Infringement can occur when any of the following are violated: the right to reproduce the copyrighted work, the right to prepare derivative works, the right to distribute copies, and the right to perform the copyrighted work publicly.

How long does copyright last?

The Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act of 1998 extended copyright protection for an additional 20 years. This act grants the following protections:

Works Created During or After 1978:

  • Life of the author plus 70 years
  • For joint works, 70 years after the last surviving author’s death
  • For works made-for-hire, 95 years from the year of first publication or 120 years from the year of creation, whichever expires first.

Works Created But Not Published or Registered Before 1978:

  • Life of the author plus 70, but in no case earlier than Dec. 31, 2002.
  • If published before Dec. 31, 2002, the term will not expire before Dec. 31, 2047

For Pre-1978 Works Still in Their Original or Renewal Term, the term is extended to 95 years from the date copyright was originally secured.

What are the limitations to copyright?

Title 17 of the U.S. Code provides for certain rights to use copyrighted works, including the following:

How do I obtain copyright protection for my literary or creative work?

Registering a work with the Copyright Office does have some benefits. It informs the public that the work is protected by copyright, identifies the copyright owner, and sets the date of first publication. In the event of infringement, the infringer will not be able to use the defense of innocent infringement, which may relieve him of actual or statutory damages.

The U.S. Copyright Office provides forms on its website to register works. The copyright owner may use the copyright notice without advance permission from or registration with the Copyright Office.

back to top

Fair Use

What is fair use?

Fair use is a limitation of copyright under Section 107 of the Copyright Law that allows the reproduction of copyrighted works for the purpose of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research.

What determines fair use?

The factors contributing to fair use must be considered individually and then weighed against one another to determine fair use. When deciding whether the use of material qualifies for fair use, consider the following:

  • the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  • the nature of the copyrighted work;
  • the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  • the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. (Sec. 107)

Commercial use of work weighs against fair use. If the purpose of copying is for criticism, news reporting, comment, teaching, research, or scholarship, this weighs in favor of fair use. If access is limited to classroom or password-protected, it weighs toward fair use. The law does not give specific guidelines. The less that is copied, the heavier will be the weight given to fair use. If copying the work has an adverse effect on the market, this will weigh against fair use. If an original work could have been purchased, this will weigh against fair use.

Watch this short video introducing the concept of Fair Use.

What about photocopying?

These Classroom Guidelines on Photocopying are generally accepted for classroom copying in not-for-profit educational institutions with respect to books and periodicals. These guidelines state the minimum and not the maximum standards of educational fair use.

What about posting materials on Blackboard?

While Blackboard can limit access to course content, it does not absolve instructors or students from first obtaining permission to post copyrighted materials. In general, if you need to obtain permission to use the content in paper format, you probably need permission to use it in electronic format as well. The TEACH Act has expanded the scope of fair use for the performance and display of copyright-protected materials in a distance education environment, including Blackboard.

Instructors are strongly encouraged to use persistent hyperlinks to e-books or journal articles within library databases, which avoids copyright infringement. Please ask a librarian for assistance in building persistent hyperlinks to online resources.

What about using videos or movies in class?

Section 110 (1) of the Copyright Law enables teachers to perform or display a video or movie without a public performance license, so long as the use is 1) in a classroom or similar instruction space, 2) the use is part of a regularly scheduled course, and 3) the user must be exclusively by the instructor and the students in the classroom, in the course of face-to-face teaching activities.

If fair use criteria do not apply, how do I obtain permission to use copyrighted materials?

Permission to use copyrighted materials must be obtained if the criteria for fair use cannot be met. Permission must be obtained from the copyright holder.

The Copyright Office offers Circular 22: How to Investigate the Copyright Status of a Work to assist copyright research. The Copyright Clearance Center provides an extensive database and quick turnaround time for copyright permissions for photocopies, electronic postings, and republications.

back to top

Public Performances

From the IUPUI Copyright Management Center:

Showing or “performing” a motion picture at the university can be important for teaching and other university activities. In many situations, it is also perfectly appropriate under copyright law, but not all “public performances” are lawful. The law of copyright attempts to balance the interests of the public with the interests of authors in their creative works. The law gives copyright owners several exclusive rights, including the exclusive right to give public performances of their copyrighted works, but the law also permits some performances of these works by others, as summarized below. These principles are generally true, whether the work is a feature film, an educational video, downloaded from the web, recorded off-air, or stored on VHS or DVD. Read more...

Two companies that offer copyright viewing licenses to universities are Criterion Pictures USA (1.800.890.9494) and Swank Motion Pictures (1.800.876.5577).

back to top

Copyright Policies

Regent University Library Policies

Regent University Policies

“Academic freedom at Regent University is framed by the context of the university’s mission statement and statement of faith and is consistent with the standards and norms stated in the academic freedom policy. Faculty are free to pursue truth within their discipline by research, discussion, and other forms of inquiry. This freedom carries a responsibility to truth, to scholarly integrity, and to one’s students.”

Regent University Faculty and Academic Policy Handbook

Regent University Employee Handbook, Section III

Other Copyright Resources

Regent University Library complies with the American Library Association's Code of Ethics on confidentiality: "We protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received, and materials consulted, borrowed, or transmitted."

Borrowing Privileges - Regent patrons

  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 25 60 days 2 $0.25/day
AV 5 60 days 2 $1.00/day
Reserves 3 2, 4 or 24 hours - 3 or 7 days 1 $0.25/hour - $4.00/day


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 25 60 days 2 $0.25/day
AV 5 3 weeks 2 $1.00/day


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 50 120 days $0.25/day
AV 5 7 days 5 $1.00/day
Reserves 3 2, 4, or 24 hours - 3 or 7 days 1 $0.25/hour -  $4.00/day


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 50 120 days 5 $0.25/day
AV 5 3 weeks 5 $1.00/day


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 100 6 months 5 $0.25/day
AV 5 3 weeks $1.00/day
Reserves 3 2,4, or 24 hours - 3 or 7 days 1 $0.25/hour - $4.00/day


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books n/a due July 1 0 n/a
AV n/a due July 1 0 n/a
Reserves n/a as noted on item 1 n/a


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books n/a end of semester 0 n/a
AV n/a end of semester 0 n/a
Reserves n/a as noted on item 1 n/a


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 20 30 days 1 $0.25/day
AV 2 7 days 1 $1.00/day

In order to obtain an Alumni library card, please fill out this form

Once an Alumni applicant's graduation date has been verified, the Access Services Department will issue a library card, which is required to check out circulating books and audiovisual materials.

  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 25 30 days 1 $0.25/day
AV 2 7 days 1 $1.00/day


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 25 30 days 1 $0.25/day
AV 2 7 days 1 $1.00/day

In order to obtain a Faculty Spouse or Student Spouse library card, please fill out this form

Borrowing Privileges - Other patrons

  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 5 30 days 1 $0.25/day

A Regent Associate library card costs $50 per year and can be obtained by filling out this form

  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 5 30 days 1 $0.25/day


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 10 30 days 1 $0.25/days
  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 10 30 days 1 $0.25/day


  Limit Loan Period Renewals Fines
Books 5 30 days 0 $0.25/day

A Visiting Scholar Library Card is only available for non-residents, pending administrative approval. 

Needing Research Assistance?

If you need help with a research question or if you have trouble finding a resource, ask a librarian! Our reference librarians will be more than happy to help you.